[Spce-user] High cpu load on mysql, but no queries

Jon Bonilla (Manwe) jbonilla at sipwise.com
Wed Jul 4 08:31:37 EDT 2012

El Wed, 04 Jul 2012 14:21:07 +0200
Mario Contreras <mario.contreras at innovasur.es> escribió:

> Hi all.
>
> I have seen a lot of cpu load in mysqld process. I have googled it and
> it seems it's a kernel's bug due to a leap second happened in 30 June
> 23:59:59 that affects java, mysql and other applications (in fact I
> could check it with vmware, the cpu load boosted in that moment).
>
> The solution I did is this:
>
> /etc/init.d/ntp stop; LANG=C date "$(date)"; /etc/init.d/ntp start
>
> Is there any problem restarting ntp?

No problem.

Thanks for the tip. We also detected some affected systems and had to restart
ntpd in several PRO systems.

What we did was this:

/etc/init.d/ntp stop; export LANG="en_EN"; date -s "`date`";
touch /tmp/leap_second ; /etc/init.d/ntp start

The explanation was taken from here (German):

http://blog.netways.de/2012/07/01/leap-second-problem-auf-debian-und-anderen/

cheers,

Jon