[Spce-user] Suggestion: install extra repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list.d

Michael Prokop mprokop at sipwise.com
Mon May 14 16:42:33 EDT 2012

Hi,

* Thilo Bangert [Thu May 10, 2012 at 05:14:58PM +0200]:

> we use puppet extensively, but also want to use sip.provider ce. What follows
> are a number of suggestions, that would make life easier for someone wanting
> to install the ngcp in a managed environment.

> the ngcp-installer installs its own /etc/apt/sources.list in order to give the
> system access to the sipwise provided repositories. This also overrides any
> configuration the system may have had earlier on.

> debian provides the /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory specifically for the
> purpose of adding more repositories without interfering with the exsisting
> setup.

> It would be nice if the ngcp-installer could add the sipwise specific
> repositories as entries in /etc/apt/sources.list.d dir instead of overwriting
> the (on purpose non-)existing /etc/apt/sources.list.

We implemented your feature request.

During fresh installation via ngcp-installer an existing
/etc/apt/sources.list file will be renamed to
/etc/apt/sources.list.disabled. All the debian.org specific stuff we
used to ship inside /etc/apt/sources.list is provided through
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list and all the Sipwise specific
repositories are provided through
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/sipwise.list with the new code.

The new files (debian.list + sipwise.list) provide markers so we can
detect those files during upgrades. As long as those markers are
present any upgrade scripts will take care of them automatically. If
those markers aren't present (e.g. because a user decided to replace
debian.list with his own version of the file manually or using
puppet) the file won't be touched and the user is expected to
provide sane settings.

We'd appreciate your feedback if this workflow provides what you'd
like to get.

regards,
-mika-