[Spce-user] Suggestion: install extra repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list.d

Michael Prokop mprokop at sipwise.com
Wed May 16 10:34:55 EDT 2012

Hi,

* Thilo Bangert [Tue May 15, 2012 at 10:48:28AM +0200]:
> On Monday, May 14, 2012 10:42:33 PM you wrote:

> > During fresh installation via ngcp-installer an existing
> > /etc/apt/sources.list file will be renamed to
> > /etc/apt/sources.list.disabled. All the debian.org specific stuff we
> > used to ship inside /etc/apt/sources.list is provided through
> > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list and all the Sipwise specific
> > repositories are provided through
> > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sipwise.list with the new code.

> the split into two different files is a step in the right direction!
> but what is the reason that you need to provide the debian sources at all?
> they should be all setup on a fresh install, no?

If all installations would use decent installers, then yes. But
especially some provider installations tend to be somewhat
"strange". :)

> would it not be enough to add sipwise.list to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ ?

The idea was to make sure that all systems use the same repositories
(like security.d.o + squeeze-updates) and we have better control
over the included/enabled repositories (to avoid hard-to-debug
problems with out-of-date packages), but your argument is valid.

> in our setup, we simply delete /etc/apt/souces.list and provide the debian
> repositories in files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d ourselves. if i then would
> run the installer, i'd get the debian repos multiple times...

Alright, so we dropped the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
specific code in our current trunk version again and will test and
discuss the system behaviour through the next days + weeks.

> the reason i want to use our own debian repo configuration is that we use a
> private mirror. the current solution would work for us though, since we can
> always make sure that the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list doesnt
> exist.

Iff we should really ship the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
file then you could just overwrite the file with your own version
and the ngcp upgrade scripts will just ignore the file (as it won't
include our file marker), or as you said just delete the file once
and we won't touch it neither. :)

So no matter whether we will ship
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list or not it should be a no-brainer
for users of puppet, chef,... with the new
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/sipwise.list configuration. Stay tuned. :)

Thanks for your feedback!

regards,
-mika-