[Spce-user] monitoring registered clients

Skyler skchopperguy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 08:04:41 EDT 2012

Hi,

 So after re-reading, let me ramble a bit so we're on the same page. Think
of OPTIONS as pinging. When you want to see if a web-server is online, you
ping it and it replies. The standard reply from a PROXY is "200", "Alive"
or sometimes an options_reply() is used which just adds a bit more info to
the reply. Really up to the admin as a Proxy allows that control.

 On a PBX, Asterisk for example handles OPTIONS a bit differently. If we
send Asterisk an OPTIONS ping, it is hard-coded to lookup the RURI locally
and reply accordingly. So let's say that the RURI is
sip:916254578777 at mydomain.com, Asterisk will receive this and lookup in its
local subscriber base and if found, replies with "200", "OK" or if not
found then "404", "Subscriber Not Found". This is probably what you are
expecting (different replies) but spce is not doing this.

 Here's why. Spce is a proxy, so it only does what the admin codes in the
config. By default, that is "200", "Alive". So what you are seeking must be
coded into your config by you.

 Now back into monitoring ;)

  There are a few ways to monitor UAC/UAS from a Proxy but before diving in
and trying to "Jam" some kind of code in the config, you need to define
your goal. The same way you would complete a layout/design of a web page
before jumping in and coding it.

 First, are you monitoring other servers (UAS)? Are these Peers? Are they
Registered as subscriber ... both? Are any behind Firewall(s) (NAT)?
 Second, are you monitoring end-user devices (UAC)? Are these behind
Firewall(s) (NAT)?
 Third, what do you want to have happen if any of the above are found to be
unreacheable?

 From here, we can start deciding on which module(s) to use and how the
code will begin to shape.

--Skyler