[Spce-user] always_use_rtpproxy

Graham Nelson-Zutter grahamsnz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 15:53:31 EDT 2013

Hi John and Andrew,

This does not relate to ICE support with rtpproxy, but it might be relevant.

Although it provides less flexibility, from a security perspective, it could make more sense to keep the ‘always_use_rtpproxy’ under the Domain Preferences, under admin-only control.

If a subscriber's account has been compromised, there is a chance that the account could be set to  ‘always_use_rtpproxy’ = never. This could potentially allow for SIP INVITE SDP spoofing where RTP could be set to transmit from an unauthorized, outside IP.

My understanding is that having  ‘always_use_rtpproxy’ = always forces your sipwise:ce server to be in the middle of the RTP path. This eliminates the possibility for RTP to pas through an unauthorized IP.

Perhaps this scenario is a little paranoid based on my experiences. I'd love to hear opinions anyone of the list might have on this subject.

thanks,
Graham