[Spce-user] Mailing list rule changes: Daily digest

Jon Bonilla (Manwe) jbonilla at sipwise.com
Tue Mar 26 05:05:29 EDT 2013

Hi all! This is for our beloved community

We've been using the spce-user mailing list for free, best effort support
during the last years. It has been more successful than expected in terms of
questions, patches and quality in general. Thanks to all of you for that! We
(Sipwise) find that the mailing list archive is a useful place to find answers
to common questions or find people that had the same issues in the past. Many
bug reports have been reported here too. That's why the mailing list is our
primary support method for our community.

To preserve the mailing list archive as a resource where people can search in
the future, we try to keep track of all threads and finish them for good or
bad. In that goal, we find that using the "daily digest" option to answer the
list for a particular thread breaks the thread and breaks our workflow where
every thread should be followed and closed via answers to a single mail. We
find that the spce-user mailing list is not a high traffic list. Receiving
every mail shouldn't be painful at all. For that reason, we plan to remove the
"receive a daily digest" option form the mailing list and make users to receive
a every single mail. This change would be effective in the following days.

As side notes, and for this same goal of preserving the list clean and useful,
I'd like to add some tips regarding the mailing list usage:

- Please *do not* use the "answer" button to create a new thread. Even if you
  delete the body and the subject of the mail, the mail you send will contain a
  "in-reply-to" header and will be ordered with the old thread in many
  mail-clients.

- Please use the "answer" button to answer an open thread. Don't use the
  forward button or "new mail" or any other buttons.

- Please consider that some people will read emails in plain text and not html.
  "Find my answer in blue" is not a good idea :)

- Please, try to keep the mailing list in CC instead of only answering the
  person. That makes the mailing list archive to have the full information. If
  there's sensible data and it can be replaced by another string do so.

In general, we're not too restrictive with the rules. RFC1855, the old
"netiquette" rules are more or less valid even nowadays.

Tip: To search our mailing list you can just google for

$KEYWORD site:http://lists.sipwise.com/pipermail/spce-user/

As always, any comments are more than welcome. This is *your* mailing list and
we try to keep it useful for you.

cheers,

Jon