[Spce-user] if it cannot do pbx functions, what exactly would one use it for?

Theo axessofficetheo at gmail.com
Wed May 22 06:47:57 EDT 2013

Hi

I float in and out of sipwise simply because of time. I am testing this for
a couple of functions - one as an SBC in front of Asterisk Boxes. So far so
good (with the help of the mailing list) although not everything has been
ironed out yet.

I am now looking at the other functionality but am not quite clear on what
exactly it can and cannot do. I've read the handbook but am still not clear
on a couple of things.

- I understand that each subscriber is set up with an E.164. So - a company
is assigned a DID by us. Only 1. But they may have 20 subscribers? What
E.164 numbers do we set up for each of their subscribers? Do we just make
them up? That will get confusing very quickly I think - no longer knowing
what is the real number and which is not?

- I am unclear on the "implied extensions". Subscribers will want to phone
each other by dialling an extension. I can set up a rewrite rule so that
when I dial "400" it rewrites it to whatever E.164 number, but that just
seems very cumbersome having to do all that for each subscriber?

- Can calls be transfered to another subscriber? Currently that is not
working in my setup but that may well be because I have overlooked
something.

I have seen the post about "ring groups" and that parallel forking is not
possible. The view was that this will be part of a PBX module you will
release? But if there really are almost no PBX features, then what exactly
would we use it for other than as an SBC? End users will want those
features, or at least a basic set of them? I had not understood from the
onset that this is not part of it and embarked on it with the end goal
being the PRO version. But at that price I expected something with all the
bells and whistles of a fully fledged PBX. If it really only does what the
CE version does, but with more redundancy and prepaid billing then I'd have
a very hard time selling the concept to the powers that be - it really just
does routing because the other functions would not really be useful without
having more features?

I am sure I am just not grasping exactly what I am playing with - but could
someone help me out in understanding it and possibly give me some scenarios
for its use?