[Spce-user] Question - db backup

Kevin Masse kmasse at questblue.com
Thu Apr 17 09:45:20 EDT 2014

Andreas, I agree that replication and RAID is not a backup and is more
of an HA solution.

You have removed the portion of the message where I answered a way to
backup the database and restore it to another system for verification.
I only continued to go on to the replication process as a way to offer
what is most critical with Sipwise.  The occasional crash of lower
quality hard drives can be duplicated.  We have duplicated this crash
many times on standard SATA hard disks.  I can duplicate a crash in less
than 30 days on a SATA drive with high volume read - writes to the disk.
My mention of the replication was simply a way to make sure if anyone is
going to use the solution in production they should use high quality
hardware.  SAS 15K Drives have been 100% successful for us with RAID
(the users choice of RAID Level) and duplication, thus allowing for
quick availability of the database when needed in the event this
happens.
I also mentioned that it depends how often changes are being made to the
subscribers etc will determine how often you need to make that physical
backup of the database.

I hope this clears up my intention of the original email and did not
send any users in the wrong direction.

Kevin