[Spce-user] UDP packet size

Thomas Odorfer thomas.odorfer at comjoo.com
Sat Mar 8 17:52:39 EST 2014

Hi,

The UDP fragmentation issue actually a familiar problem especially when
using clients supporting/providing a huge set of codecs and you or your
customers are behind private firewall/NAT routers.
It is quite unusual (however not impossible) that the Debian server with
sipwiseCE would cause this problem.
The problem is described quite well e.g. in the JITSI client FAQ
https://jitsi.org/Documentation/FAQ  ( §Why does my call stay in the
“Initiating Call” status and I can never connect? ).
The best way to avoid this issue with customers/users where you can’t
control client/network is to provide the appropriate settings for SIP
within your server DNS like SRV or NAPTR to motivate the clients to use
TCP/TLS instead UDP (some clients like Jitsi or Bria or others actually
use this).

Rgds
Thomas