[Spce-user] Custom cfg and db revs

Alex Lutay alutay at sipwise.com
Thu Apr 9 04:41:05 EDT 2015

Dear Jon,

BTW, it was probably a good topic for spce-dev@ but not spce-users@ :-)

On 07/04/15 13:38, Jon Bonilla (Manwe) wrote:
> I'm deploying more and more custom features in existing NGCP systems and I
> wonder if we could discuss about policies.

Fully agree with you here.
Sipwise is interested in high product quality while hidden
customizations usually creates problems after upgrades.

> For example: I would suggest that custom cfg rev scripts should add features
> under "custom" namespace to be able to find them quickly. That would make
> customtt templates be able to use [% custom.kamailio.lb.feature.enable %] for
> example.

"custom" name space is OK, but how to handle IDs?

I suppose you need to have ability to execute custom steps/IDs in
proper moment, e.g. between Sipwise's statements A and C your ID
should be B while it can be occupied by Sipwise already. Any ideas here?

I see only possibility add new column "custom=0/1" to *_schema tables
or create *_schema_custom table whith own numeration...

JFYI, you probably noticed that cfg_schema has been migrated out of
MySQL, It solves chicken-eggs problem and allows to configure NGCP
using ngcpcfg while MySQL not yet running/configured.

Anyway, waiting for your pull requests to ngcp-update-cfg-schema ;-)

> What I don't know is how we could name those rev scripts not to collide with
> existing or future ones. Any naming conventions for them?
> "number_custom_description.up" maybe? Which number?

See above, in this case I would say
"number_description_custom.up" to correlate with
"number_description_ce.up" and
"number_description_pro.up".

But what should be executed first custom or sipwise?
Should custom be able to overwrite sipwise statement?

> Same with db revisions and subscriber/domain/peer preferences. Any policies
> here for naming convention of the feature and the rev file?

Lets try to solve cfg_schema part first, to do not mix topics.

> Regarding custom deb packages for ngcp systems. "ngcp-custom-whatever" ? or
> "vendor-ngcp-whatever"? Any suggestions?

I would say it is not really critical until we do not overlap name, IMHO
"ngcp-custom-whatever" is preferred:

--
Alexander Lutay