[Spce-user] iptables issue

Julian Seifert js at dacor.de
Tue Apr 19 06:21:36 EDT 2016

Hi,

you shouldn't need to apply any firewalling for internal communication.
Apply your firewall rules to your WANside interfaces. (see -i in iptable rules)
Allow everything out & allow established connections to get replies.
Fail2ban is a good idea.

You can implement fail2ban for sip-registrations (But I think there's already
something like that builtin. but maybe that's pro version only, if so there is a sipwise
blog entry regarding the implementation of fail2ban with regards to sip I think)
(this is the article I was thinking of:
https://www.sipwise.org/news/technical/securing-your-ngcp-against-sip-attacks/ )

If your server was hacked you should analyse how that happened.
There might be flaws in the services you are about to open in your firewall
or maybe your passwords are of poor choice etc.

There is plenty of documentation regarding firewalling for linux-systems.
A starting point can be: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IptablesHowTo
But any other current documentation works as good as this one.

kind regards,

  Julian