[Spce-user] best practices on delivering SIP trunks to customers and individual registrations where endpoints on private IP

Stephen Donovan stephen at belzonicable.net
Sun May 1 11:38:35 EDT 2016

Here is the scenario:

Small cable operation.

1.       Residential customers have Arris emta in 10.15.xxx.xxx. They have direct access to sipwise box which is on a public IP.  These customers have no trouble making or receiving calls, or talking to each other (subscriber to subscriber)

2.       Hosted PBX customers have asterisk VMs with public IP addressed and have a subscriber built for them with a static registration and their IP as a trusted source.  These can make and receive calls no problem amongst themselves and the PSTN.

3.       External SIP trunk customer.  I have an Adtran TA908e on site with a public IP on its outside interface, a private IP on their voice network on the inside interface, doing stateful sip and rtp proxy with their Mitel PBX. SIP/RTP traffic should come and go to the public IP address of the Adtran box (it does).  They can make and receive calls fine with PSTN.

The problem comes in as follows:

1.       Asterisk PBX at my office cannot call a residential subscriber which is registered.  I get a 486 busy even when the subscriber is idle.

2.       Registered subscriber on an Arris emta on a private ip can place a call to the customer with the Adtran and Mitel PBX but no audio.  External calls to this PBX work fine.

3.       Occasionally have problems reported by PBX customers that they get one way or no audio when forwarding calls back out to an external destination.

I understand more data is going to be needed, I will be glad to provide anything requested.  I will actually be on site at the Mitel PBX customer's location tomorrow morning, I plan on capturing some traffic on their network and inspecting closely to see if it can be determined where some issues are happening with them.  Probably unrelated to anything I'm doing, some IP phones on their mitel system are unable to make outbound calls, we see the call then immediately a cancel comes from them, a couple IP phones and no digital phones on that system show that problem.

Stephen