[Spce-user] Lost SSH after upgrade

Alex Lutay alutay at sipwise.com
Mon Jun 19 09:51:49 EDT 2017

Hi Maxwell,

Thank you for the detailed description. It explains a lot,
while I do not see correlation with Anthony's mr5.3.1 upgrade issue.

I have re-checked newly installed mr5.2.1 after enabling security.

It is true, SSH is only allowed for <sshd.permit_support_from>.
AFAIK it is described in documentation:
https://www.sipwise.com/doc/mr5.2.1/spce/ar01s14.html

> To add hosts or networks to the SSH whitelist they can be either added to key sshd.permit_support_from in /etc/ngcp-config/config.yml or a custom rule may be used: - '-A INPUT -s 198.51.100.0/24 --dport 22 - j ACCEPT'

but probably more highlights should be added into documentation
to prevent further confusions. I will take care here.

Also, enabling security in config.yml and 'ngcpcfg apply' is not enough
to lock yourself: https://www.sipwise.com/doc/mr5.2.1/spce/ar01s14.html
> Firewall configuration is applied by running ngcpcfg apply.> However, this will not activate new rules automatically to avoid
inadvertent self-lockout.
> To finally activate new firewall rules run iptables-apply.
> This will prompt for another system logon to verify access remains available.
> If the prompt is not confirmed, firewall rules will automatically be reverted to the previous state re-enabling access to the command line.

Which asks confirmation about successful NEW SSH connection:

> root at spce:~# iptables-apply
> Applying new iptables rules from '/etc/network/iptables.up.rules'... done.
> Can you establish NEW connections to the machine? (y/N)
> Timeout! Something happened (or did not). Better play it safe...
> Reverting to old iptables rules... done.
> root at spce:~#

As I can see it works perfectly from my side, rules were reverted as new
connection was not confirmed by me. Did you confirm it without checking
new SSH connection?

You can try it yourself on mr5.2.1 Vagrant image from your side.

Thank you for a pleasant feedback about mr5.3.1,
the team was working hard to fit everything there in time.

Have fun!

--
Alex Lutay