[Spce-user] CPU timing in virtual enviroments

Matthew Ogden matthew at ogden.co.za
Tue Jan 16 10:37:00 EST 2018

Hi All

I know this is question is not completely SPCE related, but since Sipwise
is using asterisk as a component, and more importantly, since so many of of
the SPCE users understand those components, not just asterisk, I thought it
an interesting enough question for the community.

All my own servers are are Virtual. Whether they be Asterisk or SPCE.  I
use VMWare as the hypervisor.

in my instance, SPCE does not seem to have a problem with timing, because
the media relay can actually have small amounts of jitter and the edge
devices (phones or PBXs), are sorting this out.

But in asterisk case, most things also work fine for boxes that run
asterisk. Except for conferencing. In my case, Meetme seems to work better
than conf-bridge (bad quality on meetme, but unusable on conf-bridge)

I know that in asterisk case the timer options are available instead of
dadhi cards. I know that Linux can have different time resolutions of the
kernel, though more modern systems system tro default to 10ms anyhow.

Does anyone out there consider themselves as a definitive guide on the
subject? I know that the Sipwise guys and anyone else contributing to media
relay projects probably see this as incredibly simple, but to me, I doesn't
make sense that with all the new hardware available based around
virtualization, to be able to have reliable timing sources or small enough
timing resolutions to take 2x  20ms packets align, merge their sound them
and send them to other system.

Kind Regards

Matthew Ogden