[Spce-user] CPU timing in virtual enviroments

Jon Bonilla (Manwe) manwe at sipdoc.net
Wed Jan 17 04:00:21 EST 2018

El Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:37:00 +0200
Matthew Ogden <matthew at ogden.co.za> escribió:

> Hi All
>
> I know this is question is not completely SPCE related, but since Sipwise
> is using asterisk as a component, and more importantly, since so many of of
> the SPCE users understand those components, not just asterisk, I thought it
> an interesting enough question for the community.
>
> All my own servers are are Virtual. Whether they be Asterisk or SPCE.  I
> use VMWare as the hypervisor.
>
> in my instance, SPCE does not seem to have a problem with timing, because
> the media relay can actually have small amounts of jitter and the edge
> devices (phones or PBXs), are sorting this out.
>
> But in asterisk case, most things also work fine for boxes that run
> asterisk. Except for conferencing. In my case, Meetme seems to work better
> than conf-bridge (bad quality on meetme, but unusable on conf-bridge)
>
> I know that in asterisk case the timer options are available instead of
> dadhi cards. I know that Linux can have different time resolutions of the
> kernel, though more modern systems system tro default to 10ms anyhow.
>
> Does anyone out there consider themselves as a definitive guide on the
> subject? I know that the Sipwise guys and anyone else contributing to media
> relay projects probably see this as incredibly simple, but to me, I doesn't
> make sense that with all the new hardware available based around
> virtualization, to be able to have reliable timing sources or small enough
> timing resolutions to take 2x  20ms packets align, merge their sound them
> and send them to other system.

Hi Mathew

There were timing problems many years ago in virtual environments and with
older asterisk versions. That was solved and shouldn't be an issue with a
recent asterisk and vmware software.

Old asterisk meetme modules used zapata/dahdi as timing source. Not having a
card to provide the clock forced us to load a dummy card module and it wasn't
accurate enough for timing critical apps like meetme. Later, asterisk released
other timing source options like timerfd which almost solved the issues but I
think meetme contined using zpata/dahdi as timing source (not 100% sure of
this). Confbridge will for sure use latest and modern timing sources so it
should work better IMHO regarding timing.

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Timing+Interfaces

In spce asterisk is an app server, a call termination point and not fundamental
part of the system. You can have timing issues and never notice them in the
spce because your calls usually don't use asterisk at all.

--
https://pekepbx.com