[Spce-user] Starting firewall on boot

Steve Saner ssaner at hubris.net
Tue Jul 31 18:17:16 EDT 2018

Are most people here turning on the firewall rules as provided by the
ngcp-config?

If so, how are you getting those firewall rules to start on boot?

It appears that things are set up to use the netfilter-persistent
package to load the firewall rules on boot and a file
/etc/iptables/rules.v4 is created by ngcpcfg for that purpose.

For me, however, netfilter-persistent is failing to load the rules.

The reason, I believe, is because the rules in rules.v4 include the
rtpengine stuff and the jump to the RTPENGINE chain. When the
netfilter-persistent service is started, however, the kernel support for
RTPENGINE is not yet running, and so the iptables-restore fails.

It seems to me that the rules stored in rules.v4 should skip the rtp
engine stuff especially since those rules will be added automatically
when the ngcp-rtpengine-daemon service starts anyway.

Am I missing something?

Steve