[Spce-user] SPCE VMware image = ngcp-initial-configuration

Alex Lutay alutay at sipwise.com
Mon Mar 25 08:14:48 EDT 2019

Hi,

On 3/23/19 8:17 PM, Hohl Matthias wrote:
[...skipped...]
> Could it possible that this command should not be used for the vmware
> image version?
[...skipped...]

TL;DR, correct.
Vagrant and VmWare images are fully installed and configured
out of the box.

---

The history behind the hood:

In the past ngcp-installer did NGCP "installation" and "configuration".
So, after the reboot user got the ready system.

The configuration happens by built-in ngcpcfg framework which users
ngcpcfg.services files to restart necessary services.
Note: installation happens in chroot. Later we migrated to systemd,
unfortunately you can't operate with systemd services under chroot [*].

Also we were in progress of adding native Amazon/Google cloud support.
Which for PRO/Carrier cases required "base image" (which can be
configured later into proper cluster member).
Additionally it allowed PRO/Carrier member reinstall any node
in a cluster using iPXE and re-configure to the previous cluster
member in one command.

So, installation has been split into "installation"
(done by ngcp-installer) and "configuration"
(done by ngcp-initial-configuration).
The drawback here was a necessity for CE users to call
ngcp-initial-configuration after the reboot to perform
initial configuration in up and ready systemd environment.
We do not control this reboot and cannot automate it in a stable way.

Meanwhile we do control Vagrant and VmWare building process and
are able to perform initial configuration on our side.
So, the image can be restored up and ready for usage like
it was before the splitting on installation and configuration.

[*] There are list of certain workarounds available.
All of them have list of limitations and drawbacks.
None fit all the Sipwise requirements perfectly.

P.S. there is a ticket TT#56154 to improve ngcp-initial-configuration
and prevent re-run in case if the system already configured.

Tnx for reporting it here!

--
Alex Lutay