[Spce-user] new and confused

Jon Bonilla (Manwe) jbonilla at sipwise.com
Thu Aug 9 10:35:02 EDT 2012

El Thu, 9 Aug 2012 14:19:20 +0000
Kevin Bushong <kbushong at appriss.com> escribió:

> I am completely new to Sipwise and have just installed the CE version,

Hi Kevin. Welcome!

> although I have many years of Asterisk experience.  I am planning to use CE
> as a replacement PBX for our current Asterisk installation.  Would CE make a
> good replacement?

No. The NGCP technology is not a PBX system. Although you have lots of
features, you won't have IVR and some other PBX features unless you buy the PRO
edition with the optional PBX module (to be released Q3 this year).

But if all you need is what the Ce offers, it's more robust and secure than an
Asterisk system.

> Everything was going along fine until I got to Rewrite rules.  Maybe I'm a
> little slow (I hope I'm kidding) but I'm just not getting the hang of the
> rules.  First, am I correct in understanding that the rewrite rules are
> essentially the rules that allow calls in and out of the box?

No. Rewrite rules are esentially for normalizing and denormalizing the dialed
numbers and CLIs. The provider works in E164 mode but customers can call in
international format, local format... you need to normalize the numbers to E164
to check the permissions, forwards... etc

hat you achieve with asterisk's contexts is NCOS here. Defining NCOS levels and
setting them to the subscriber you achieve the outbound calling limitation.
There are also a coupe of aditional ways of restricting incoming and outgoing
calls such as call barring.

> Also, am I
> correct that inbound and outbound are from the CE box perspective?

Yes.

> I live in the US and I understand that everything is based on E.164 so the
> rewrite rules are just rules to add digits or subtract digits to what ever
> was dialed, correct?

Yes

>   My ultimate goal is to allow users to dial 4 digits
> for internal extensions, 7 digits for a local call, and 10 digits for an LD
> call.  Are there any other docs that go into more detail on how the Rewrite
> rules work?  Are the rules based on standard REGEX rules?

Perl regular expressions.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please try again with the handbook and the examples and come back if you have
any further questions.

cheers,

Jon