[Spce-user] monitoring registered clients

Matthew Ogden matthew at tenacit.net
Sat Aug 18 05:28:25 EDT 2012

The problem is that we don't know if the PBX is in failover mode until one
of the following happens (amoung others):
1. the customer makes a complaint that their outgoing lines is restricted
to much fewer lines (now their line max = PSTN only)
2. the customer phones customers with CallerID that does not match the
desired SIP caller ID.
3. We see at the end of the day / week that the customer is not making
calls with our SIP account and we investigate

> > I would like build something that is fetching the whether or not the
> > accounts are flapping and whether they are up at all.
> >
>   What is 'flapping'? If a PBX is registered as a subscriber on SPCE,
> then I assume you mean to find a way in order to monitor that
> registration and notify you in some way if it is not registered?

Flapping is when:
1. the registration is irreguglar (not on the expected RE-REGISTER times),

2. or missing REGISTRATION some times,
3. when calls routed to it are timing out
4. when calls routed from it are failing from timeouts instead of BYEs
from our PEER (upstream) or our BYEs from our customer

> > Do you guys have any suggestions of a good way of achieving this?
> >
>   Sure, lots of suggestions can be given. Just need to figure out your
> goal exactly :)

Hope this all makes sense. Some of customers are using data lines that may
be stable for 2 years, and then be intermittent for a week - we want to
proactively manage this situation before the customer is angry.