[Spce-user] monitoring registered clients

Skyler skchopperguy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 02:49:56 EDT 2012

Hi,

> From the server point of view, I've just seen this thread in the sip-router
> mailing list. This might be useful as start for monitoring alive clients.
>
> http://lists.sip-router.org/pipermail/sr-users/2012-August/074337.html
>
> Once the "dead" clients are removed from registration, one could just check
> registered vs provisioned subscribers.
>
> We have freezed 2.6 and we're working hard on releasing it before the end
> of
> this month. Once it's released we'll discuss the 2.7-2.8 roadmap and
> update it.
> Not sure if this kind of feature (over the time flapping subscriber
> detection)
> is something we can include in early or later releases. But it's something
> we
> could discuss in the mailing list and check what should be the best
> approach.
>

> cheers
>
> Jon

 I saw that thread as well, its a great addition to Kamailio. Generally
speaking though, I personally prefer that the client-side be in charge by
sending NOTIFY to spce rather than the other way around. Monitoring from
SPCE is not a bad idea if all of your endpoints are an Asterisk or similar
PBX. Though a subscriber could be a soft-phone/mobile or ATA which may or
may not always be registered, so monitoring all subscribers would not
always 'fit'.

 A few months back I had ventured into end-device monitoring for ATA's and
while it was just an OPTIONS ping and email, it became a PIA receiving
100's of emails when ppl simply moved the device to another room or took it
with them on a plane for example. Also I really wanted to have more info on
the device since I was already communicating with it regularly; such as
calculating the MOS score. That turned out to be near impossible so I just
dropped the whole idea and moved on with placing the responsibility onto
the PBX rather than SPCE.

 What about creating a 'Monitor Subscriber' as an option for each
subscriber with an email address field to notify? I could see this working
as then you could enter the subscriber's email and they are notified that
"Hey, Your device is not working. Check that it is plugged to the
Internet." or something like that. Put the responsibility onto the person
that can 'touch' the device.

Skyler