[Spce-user] correct NAT configuration

Jon Bonilla (Manwe) jbonilla at sipwise.com
Fri Dec 28 08:34:05 EST 2012

El Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:22:27 +0100
"Joan Cifre (ibred)" <jcifre at ib-red.com> escribió:

> Hello all,
> we are experiencing many issues regarding to NAT with our SIP
> registration. Our phones register correctly, but if public IP changes,
> the phones failed to register again. We have noted it after a problem
> with DHCP that changed may of the public IPs of our customers routers.
> I'm sure it can be optimized and probably our configuration of phones
> and routers is not optimal. The first we can observe is that in the
> Sipwise administration interface, in the registration of the phone, we
> are getting "NAT: no" in all registrations.
>
> User Agent: Grandstream HT701 1.0.0.18
> Contact sip:n971520810 at 141.105.96.102:5060
> NAT no
> Expires2012-12-22 03:52:39
>
> But in fact phones are behind NAT (they have private IP address). Our
> routers have NAT helpers with SIP ports configured (5060, 5061). And
> also our phones have NAT mapping enable set to yes, but no STUN server
> configured. Is there a better configuration than this one? Maybe Sipwise
> could handle the NAT itself? As I told the problem is when the public IP
> changes.

Yes, the provider can handle NAT for endpoints.

Usually, NAT helpers (SIP ALG) in routers break SIP traffic and it's more a
problem than a solution. I would disable every kind of stun configuration and
NAT helpers and let the spce handle the nat of your devices.

It's not the only solution, just one solution.