[Spce-user] Callee hangup doesnt' send BYE ...

Paul Cupis paul at cupis.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 15:38:29 EST 2012

On 16/01/12 23:54, Sébastien Cramatte wrote:
> We have opened an issue with our SIP trunk wholesale provider
> (Jazztel / Spain) and they told us that is the normal behavior ...
> Their policy for land lines are to doesn't send "BYE" when callee
> hangup first ...
>
> Do you think that this behavior is setup for any technical reason on
> their side ? Do other SIP trunk providers in others countries do the
> same thing ?

This isn't unheard of in PSTN networks - callee putting the handset down
does not immediately cleardown the call, as they can pick up the handset
(or another handset somewhere else in the house) and continue the
conversation.

They should send a BYE eventually, after a timeout. Some providers will
send a re-INVITE to put the RTP stream on-hold whilst the handset in
on-hook.

Regards,