[Spce-user] Multiple ATA registrations

Andreas Granig agranig at sipwise.com
Thu Nov 15 04:42:00 EST 2012

Hi,

Such multiple entries usually pile up if UAs don't persistently remember
the registration info across reboots.

If you register a contact for the first time, the server takes the
call-id and cseq and stores the binding. If a UA wants to refresh this
binding, it MUST send the same call-id, and it MUST increment the cseq.
Failing to increment the cseq leads to an error message from the server,
and failing to use the same call-id leads to an additional entry in the
location table.

I guess if you reboot your device, it doesn't unregister properly
(sending a re-registration with expires=0), so the entry is left in the
location table. If it comes up again, it most likely uses a different
call-id, so a new binding is created instead of refreshing the previous one.

There is one work-around solution to this, ensuring there's only one
contact per subscriber, but it'll break parallel ringing in case you
want to register two UAs for one subscriber intentionally in the future.
The way it's done is copying your
/etc/ngcp-config/templates/etc/kamailio/proxy/registrar.cfg.tt2 into a
customtt.tt2 file, search it for the save("location") function and
change it to save("location", "0x04").

See
http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/stable/modules_k/registrar.html#id2496637
for an explanation.