[Spce-user] RFC2833 events logging

Tim Donahue tim.donahue at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 11:21:10 EDT 2012

(On-list this time)

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Andreas Granig <agranig at sipwise.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/09/2012 02:46 PM, John Murray wrote:
>> Is there any way to enable logging (perhaps in rtp.log) of rfc2833 DTMF
>> events?
>
> No, because the rtp proxy doesn't inspect packets, but just relays them
> transparently.

John,

I have worked with several systems over the years that that will log
RTP Events to log files or the console.  I have found that the easier
way to troubleshoot DTMF events is to make a packet capture with
tcpdump, then open that file in Wireshark to dissect the calls.  The
call ladders and protocol dissection tools that Wireshark has make it
much easier to analyze the call flow and confirm the DTMF events are
working as expected.

If you aren't familiar with capturing packets with tcpdump, I have
found this cheat sheet to be quite useful in addition to the man page:
http://media.packetlife.net/media/library/12/tcpdump.pdf (Note the -s
and -w options)

Tim Donahue