[Spce-user] RFC2833 events logging

John Murray john.murray at skyracktelecom.com
Tue Oct 9 15:47:29 EDT 2012

Tim, Andreas,

Thanks for that. I did use tcpdump and wireshark in the end.

Regards

John

> On 10/09/2012 02:46 PM, John Murray wrote:
>> Is there any way to enable logging (perhaps in rtp.log) of rfc2833
>> DTMF events?
>
> No, because the rtp proxy doesn't inspect packets, but just relays
> them transparently.

John,

I have worked with several systems over the years that that will log RTP
Events to log files or the console.  I have found that the easier way to
troubleshoot DTMF events is to make a packet capture with tcpdump, then open
that file in Wireshark to dissect the calls.  The call ladders and protocol
dissection tools that Wireshark has make it much easier to analyze the call
flow and confirm the DTMF events are working as expected.

If you aren't familiar with capturing packets with tcpdump, I have found
this cheat sheet to be quite useful in addition to the man page:
http://media.packetlife.net/media/library/12/tcpdump.pdf (Note the -s and -w
options)

Tim Donahue