[Spce-user] sip:provider CE v2.8 released

Andreas Granig agranig at sipwise.com
Tue Apr 2 11:59:24 EDT 2013

Hi,

On 04/02/2013 03:55 PM, Kevin Masse wrote:
> In addition to the 2.8 question I am wondering about the connectivity
> for the proposed roadmap to 3.0 I noticed the following comment posted
> by Andreas on March 29th.
>
> After v2.8 we'll switch to v3.0 (due in ~3 months as always) with a
> completely reworked web panel, and we'll switch to a REST interface for
> 3rd party provisioning clients, and no more new features will be exposed
> via the SOAP and XMLRPC (and we'll phase it out completely by end of
> this year)
>
> In order to properly plan to be working in 3.0 what are the
> recommendations?

Well, 2.8 still uses SOAP, so nothing on that side so far. Starting with
3.0, we migrate ngcp-www-admin and ngcp-www-csc to a combined panel
called ngcp-panel with a new model underneath. The old panels and
ngcp-ossbss (providing SOAP and XMLRPC access) will be there as well for
the next versions, so they will continue to work as usual for the
features currently present in 2.8, so you'll be safe for the next 9
months at least (3.0 to 3.2).

However, new features will only be implemented on top of the ngcp-panel
(providing the web interface and the REST interface) once 3.0 is out, so
if you start using that, you need to switch to REST if you want to
leverage these features from a 3rd party application.

> Joel's question: Is 2.7 required before 2.8?

Yes. There were lots of internal changes between 2.6 and 2.7 (the
network.yml config being the most important one, which needed changes in
pretty much all of the config templates).

> My additional questions:
> Will the SOAP continue to work up to 2.8?
> If SOAP will be phased out in 3.0 and move over to REST what will the
> lead time be to allow our programmers to build and test new connectivity
> before the 3.0 release?

You're still safe with SOAP in 3.0, as it's mainly a transitional
release providing the new panel and API in addition of what's available
in 2.8.

Andreas