[Spce-user] RTPEngine ICE Candidates Exchange

Peter Villeneuve petervnv1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 13:33:56 EST 2015

Hi guys,

This is a topic that also interests me.

I have setup latest spce on a debian machine and am using the linphone
android client for testing.

I see in the rtpengine options that 4 are available:

1) always with plain SDP
2) always with rtpproxy as additional ICE candidate
3) always with rtpproxy as only ICE candidate
4) never

Obviously 4 is pretty self-explanatory, but I don't understand what option
1 does. Doesn't rtpengine always rewrite/insert ICE candidates in SDP when
activated? So what does option 1 do exactly that's different from 2/3? I
can't find any info regarding that in the documentation.

Also, in my test scenario, where both android linphone clients support ICE,
I thought that using option 2 would be ideal since the media would only be
relayed when the two clients cannot establish a p2p connection directly.
But when I actually use option 2, and both linphone clients are in the same
LAN and can communicate p2p, I see in the linphone logs that ICE reports it
is using relay connections, which surprises me since they should both be
reporting a p2p host connection.
Since linphone states it adheres to the ICE RFC, and so does rtpengine, I
don't understand what's going on when I know for certain that both clients
can easily talk to each other directly. It seems to me that rtpengine maybe
inserting itself as a host candidate when in fact it is a relay one. Does
this make any sense?

Cheers,
Peter