[Spce-user] virtualizing sip:provider CE

Stephen Donovan stephen at belzonicable.net
Mon May 16 23:20:48 EDT 2016

I've been down this road before with limited success...however...I'm now in a position where I have a lot more resources to do things right at my disposal.  Is it still recommended that I run spce bare metal..or is virtualization an option?  Any bottlenecks I should be looking at ?  storage latency?...what about running on an array of SSDs vs spinning disks... my main storage system is consumer grade 7200rpm drives.  I can put together a set of 15k rpm SAS drives or SSDs easily. My big idea is high availability.  I have an opportunity to set up a test environment that can easily be moved between bare metal and vm for testing.

Some (fuzzy) memories from a few years ago:

SPCE seemed to do okay running as a VM on xenserver until we reached a certain threshold of concurrent calls, I don't remember that number..but it wasn't very big.  It seemed that IO wait was climbing at times, causing call processing issues.  The storage system in question was a ZFS RAID Z2 array comprised of 7200rpm desktop class drives that were not the fastest in the world by far.  It was at that time I decided to move back to bare metal and not look back.

Now that I have my own company, I'm again looking at virtualization as an option for high(er) availability being that a single hardware failure will not take the infrastructure down.

What amount of concurrent calls and/or calls per second could I expect to process given a certain amount of hardware?

The physical hosts in question will be dell R610 boxes with 2x xeon x5550, 32GB RAM.  I plan to only run voice servers on this platform, I'll have another resource pool for other workloads.

Since my last experience, xenserver has been greatly improved, as I'm experiencing running most of my other servers on it at the current time.

If it's not a good idea, tell me so, I'll  go another way, I'm looking for experiences.

Stephen