[Spce-user] Documentation suggestions

Alex Lutay alutay at sipwise.com
Tue Sep 13 05:40:24 EDT 2016

Hi Skyler,

Thank you for the feedback here!

On 09/12/2016 09:38 PM, Skyler wrote:
> I've just installed mr4.5.1 to checkout new features and ran into a few
> things that I couldn't find in the documentation.
>
> 1. Default networking seemed to lock to 127.0.0.1 and not eth0. I had to
> open network.cfg and change the IP before i could do anything further.

I believe you have more then one network interfaces available.

CE has a code which moves networking on the first boot if system has
one interface only, while it does nothing if more then one network
interfaces detected. It just doesn't know which one should be used.

See /etc/init.d/ngcp-eaddress and also check /var/log/boot:
> grep eaddress /var/log/boot
> ... Skipping ngcp-eaddress as more than one network interface found: eth0 eth1 ...

We should document it better, I will fire an internal ticket here.

In the same time documentation forces you to perform all the steps
manually (see "ngcp-network ..." ):
> https://www.sipwise.org/doc/mr4.5.1/spce/ar01s05.html#_network_configuration

> 2. Where is admin web interface? I mean what port is it on?

The port is 1443.
> https://www.sipwise.org/doc/mr4.5.1/spce/ar01s17.html#_firewalling

It listens web_int interface in network.yml
which is localhost by default due to security reason.

The installation hits you to move 'web_int' here:
> https://www.sipwise.org/doc/mr4.5.1/spce/ar01s05.html#_network_configuration

> 3. What is the default user/pass for Admin area?

See it here:
> https://www.sipwise.org/doc/mr4.5.1/spce/ar01s17.html#_password_management
> The administrative web interface has a default user ...

Also the default 'administrator' password is highlighted here twice:
> https://www.sipwise.org/doc/mr4.5.1/spce/ar01s04.html#_installing_the_sip_provider_ce

> I knew all the above but I got to "What's next" and it moved directly
> onto how to create a customer. Just thought it might be a good idea to
> add the above info somewhere before "create a customer".

Maybe you knows NGCP good enough to skip some steps in documentation,
like "Initial System Configuration" :-)

Tnx for reporting it here anyway!

--
Alex Lutay