[Spce-user] Fail-over SIP Trunk

Barry Flanagan barry at flanagan.ie
Fri May 25 04:00:11 EDT 2018

On Fri, 25 May 2018 at 08:35, Daniel Grotti <dgrotti at sipwise.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> > Is this possible? I can imagine registering a 2nd IP address in the
> > subscriber, but don't know how to prioritize one over the other.
>
> You could theoretically define the q value in the permanent registration
> with value 0 for the highest priority. Then create another permanent
> registration with q set to 1.
> Then in the subscriber preferences you select the option to fork calls
> based on q value.
> The calls will go first to ip with q value 0. If fails or no reply, call
> will fall back to ip with q value 1.

Hi
I think this is slightly wrong. q-value should be a floating point number
in a range 0 to 1.0 with 1.0 being the highest priority. So the call will
go to an endpoint with a q-value of 1 first, and only use the endpoint with
a q-value of 0 if the first is unavailable.

This is also nicely documented at
https://www.sipwise.com/serial-forking-based-sip-provider/

Hope this helps.

-Barry