[Spce-user] Resellers and broken billing profiles best practices

Jon Bonilla (Manwe) manwe at sipdoc.net
Thu Sep 21 12:48:39 EDT 2023

El Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:54:33 +0100
Barry Flanagan <barry at flanagan.ie> escribió:

> On 21/09/2023 14:08, Jiri Ptacnik wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > anybody using Reseller functionality on SPCE?
> >
> > Thinking about rate-o-mat problems with not-well configured billing
> > profiles. Any reseller could make own billing profile, or more, and if
> > he make a mistake, it shut down rate-o-mat and it will affect
> > everybody on server.
>
> Yes, this has been one of my biggest gripes with the C5. In my previous
> company we had many resellers on a C5 Carrier platform and this was a
> constant headache. I asked multiple times if this behaviour could be
> changed to not kill rate-o-mat but mark the CDR as in suspense and raise
> an alert instead of just dying. Sipwise were not willing to do it and I
> never understood quite why.

IMHO this is because rating *needs* to be sequential. Because of free minutes
and free calls. If you skip a call that could be using free minutes and you rate
it later the final status is not the same as it would be in case it was not
skipped.

And yes, it's annoying. What I usually do for resellers is to have a
"resellers" spce and a main spce on top. So resellers in one are subscribers in
the second. That way even if the reseller rateomat is stoped you still can rate
them and have your own stuff isolated and under control.

PD: Another solution is to force a catchall rate at the end of every billing
profile. You charge that 5€/second and you make sure rateomat is never stopped.
This has the benefit that rateomat is not stopped which can be an issue with
fraud control. But sometimes you need to rerate the calls when you fix a
missing fee call that has been charged 5€/second :)

--
PekePBX, the multitenant PBX solution
https://pekepbx.com