[Spce-user] Backup and Restore

Jon Bonilla (Manwe) jbonilla at sipwise.com
Thu Apr 18 18:47:20 EDT 2013

El Mon, 15 Apr 2013 17:43:48 +0200
Theo <axessofficetheo at gmail.com> escribió:

> I currently run our test on a virtual server - full installation, not a
> template. Provided sufficient resources are allocated (8GB RAM and 128GB
> hdd in my case), is there anything stopping me from simply keeping it as a
> virtual server? The main reason I would consider that is that we simply run
> snapshots of it every night, have another virtual server ready and waiting
> and send the snapshots there every night. That would take care of backup
> and restore in a very simple, quick and reliable way.
>
> Feel free to deflate my thinking :-)

Nothing stops you. Virtualized environment could potentially have worse
performance in terms of networking. virtio cards don't behave as well as
physical ones. But you can do load tests. Depending on your load you'll most
probably have more than enough to run what you want.

You can also run snapshots if you run a normal system over lvm2 or using btrfs
for example. There are lots of backup/restore procedures and yours is just one
of them. Use the solution you feel easier or more comfortable.