[Spce-user] routers Vs SBC

Mike Hammett sipwise at ics-il.net
Mon Apr 29 06:43:43 EDT 2013

I am generally the ISP providing the Internet connectivity (whether fixed wireless or soon fiber), so the DSL support isn't much to me. Mikrotik does not support any traditional WAN technologies. They support Ethernet, various WiFi and cellular interfaces. Mikrotik does few things automatically, but allows you to do many things semi-manually. Automatically identifying VoIP traffic doesn't do much for me as the end-points are generally known and QoS can be applied per IP. If I was doing WAN failover, it would be among various interfaces with OSPF interfaces to other points in my network. That said, I could do something similar off-network with VPNs over each WAN interface and OSPF running on top of those WAN interfaces. There are scripts available for other forms of fail-over.

I have had Asterisk on the customer prem before. I am moving to have customer PBX systems hosted on my VMWare environment for lower cost and higher reliability. Public Internet access would still be available, but I would VPN their office back to mine for most VoIP transport.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com