[Spce-user] Banned subscribers

Matthew Ogden matthew at tenacit.net
Fri Sep 20 14:41:15 EDT 2013

Just check what Andreas is saying as well.

I found, if the peering between ISPs broke down, and traffic was flowing
only from the subscriber to you, then depending on the device, it would
authenticate over and over because it wasn't receiving replies from my
server. Then my server would ban it. So depending  on how many times it
will retransmit, and retry in a given period, is what you need to allow
for (bearing in mind, the more you allow for, the higher the risk of
someone brute force attacking. It would show up as a banned subscriber.

Be sure to check that it isn't a real attack like Andreas is saying. Check
that it was your own subscribers normal IP that caused the ban before
changing any settings etc.

Also check this thread between Jon and myself:
http://lists.sipwise.com/pipermail/spce-user/2013-July/004411.html as now
I recall that both the auth_ban (for DDOS) and dos attack settings for me
needed to be changed.

Regards