[Spce-user] Error when configuring exim: invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of restart

Michael Prokop mprokop at sipwise.com
Sat Aug 18 04:37:34 EDT 2018

Hi,

* Thomas Georg [Fri Aug 17, 2018 at 04:03:57PM +0000]:

> when configuring exim via "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config"
> I get the following error: invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of restart

This is a warning message only, not an actual error (unless the
`dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config` really fails hard for you, please
let us know if so!).

See `man 8 invoke-rc.d` section "INIT SCRIPT POLICY" for
details about policy-rc.d.

> Any idea?

This behavior was introduced as of mr6.2.1 with the switch systemd
to prevent automatic service (re)starts/stops.

By invoking `sudo ngcp-service exim4 restart` or `sudo systemctl
restart exim4` you should be able to restart the service anyway.

I'll open an internal ticket to discuss the permanent presence of
the policy-rc.d script (which is causing this "invoke-rc.d:
policy-rc.d denied execution of restart" message) for situations
like `dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config`.

PS: Please always mention which SPCE version you're talking about.
Also please subscribe to the mailing list before posting to it,
otherwise your message will hang in the moderation queue and you
might also not get replies to your mail.

regards,
-mika-